Join us anytime throughout the months of August and September 2016.
We will plan for a lecture / discussion Thursdays from 6-9 and Saturdays from 3-6 . Come to either or both. Thursdays will be more story based and Saturdays will lean into a bit more code.
Fridays we will hold an abbreviated brown bag session from noon-1pm.
Open lab sessions will be held Thursdays 3-6pm, Friday 1-6pm, and Saturdays 6-9pm. You are welcome to drop in / drill down into topics of interest to you. Kathy will be on hand to mentor you with code and course materials. You are quite welcome to bring your own art form to work on in the space as well.
Each week we will focus on a different area of internet-based art. We will explore the poetics of code and the rich landscape offered by networks, hypermedia navigation, geolocative storytelling, generative algorithms and community authorship.
We will explore, experiment, create and share new media tools and processes. The 8-week experience will culminate in a collaborative installation of participants' work installed in a downtown storefront with a companion web site and discussion.
Web technologies have been developed by a community fueled by a dream of a common language ::: a shared toolset for exchanging information and resources. From the early days of the internet, artists have been leveraging this space to explore new forms of creating and delivering work. Like the early days of photography and film, net.art and net.writing have excavated the rich metaphors and creative possibilities that come with any new material, any new form.
These technologies also are of high value in the today's market. Artist-support organizations such as Fractured Atlas offer coding classes to provide artists with useful creative tools and sustenance opportunities.
You are welcome to come to one or all of the sessions. They will be self-contained. No previous knowledge is required.
General outline of topics by session :::
- August 4-6
- talking to machines ::: the origins of computing
- August 11-13
- the anatomy of a web page
the flying trapeeze ::: the aerial art of hypertext ::: the gymnastics of reading
- August 18-20
- the architecture of the internet ::: cloud mobiles ::: social graphs ::: intersecting stories
- August 25-27
- alice in wonderland ::: hypermedia ::: the cross-sensory house of mirrors
- September 1-3
- code / algorithms ::: the confluence of text & choreography (literary forms in action) :::
code as improvisation / orchestration
- September 8 & 9 (no Saturday this week)
- drawing :::
- September 15-17
- revolutionary spaces ::: contested landscapes ::: arts & resistance
- September 22-24
- overview, brainstorming session for future directions & installation celebration on Saturday the 24th
- October 1
- installation celebration ::: 3-6pm